Monday, October 7, 2013

Early Fall Sewing #6: Floral Cambie


It isn't much early fall as actual fall anymore, but I am working away with my plans. This Cambie has been finished for a while, but I find taking pictures very challenging. I found a set-up that seems to be working, but it involves a pile of books on my ironing board and the timer on my camera, so it is not optimal. But at least I don't have to drag my boyfriend to a nearby park and coax him into taking pictures of me. Plus, you get my vintage Husqvarna in the background. Next time, I might even think about removing the cover so that you can actually see her. Ah, well, at least there is a pretty dress to look at!


This is Sewaholic's Cambie, and a truly wonderful pattern. It's really nice to sew a bodice that is not just a variation on a sloper, if you understand what I mean. The shoulder pieces gathering into the sweetheart neckline are just enough sweet for my tastes, and I surprise myself liking the cap sleeves they form. It works wonderfully on it's own, and will look just as good with a cardi on top to keep me warm in the winter.



 Construction-wise, everything went together smoothly. It was a bit akward to go and sew the sleeves in with all the bulk of the finished dress in the way, but it is such a clever trick that I didn't mind too much. I handpicked a regular zipper instead of inserting an invisible one, because honestly I'm still a bit scared of zippers and I don't have an invisible zipper foot. I like the control I have when stitching a zipper in by hand, and the result is almost invisible.





Even more wonderful than the pattern is the fabric. A soft, floaty, swishy rayon in a small-scale floral. Pink and white on black. How can it be better? Rayon is such a great fabric. Easy to work with, presses well, drapey and doesn't wrinkle too much if the quality is good. It does tend to shrink a lot, but I always prewash my fabrics so it isn't much of an issue. I found this fabric in copenhagen, in a small store kept by an adorable arab lady. I speak swedish fluently, but my danish is rubbish so we had quite some communication issues... I kept fondling the fabric and draping lenghts on me asking my boyfriend what he thought about it, and the lady kept saying, in english: cheap! very high quality! a dress for you. you need 3 meters! i've been meaning to go back and get more wonderful rayon in pretty prints...


Anyways, I am really pleased with this dress, and I can see myself making more Cambies in the future. I'd make three more right away, but there are so many other patterns tickling my fancy and that I want to try... I've worn it once and got complimented on it, wich is always a great deal for me. I was told the my dress looked like an evening gown and that I looked like I was going to a fancy party...










7 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely, Joelle! The combination of that gorgeous rayon and the Cambie is perfect. It looks so delightfully swishy! There are a few length of rayon that have been malingering in my stash, because I'm too nervous to sew with them, but your fabulous dress may have just given me the nerve.

    Also, on picture taking, do you know if there is a remote that would work with your camera? I bought one that was compatible with mine off of Amazon and that $15 has changed my blogging life. The thought of racing around, fiddling with the timer, always filled me with dread. It's an easy, helpful little gadget, if available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh do use that rayon you have, it;s a wonderful fabric!
      on remotes: i dream of having one, i can really see how it would be life changing! but i'm afraid it would mean getting a new camera too. i have a litte samsung point and shoot. i looked it once and i couldn't find one that was compatible :( funny though how sewing and blogging is making me much more interested in photography... good photography makes such a difference!

      Delete
  2. Your dress is beautiful! I adore the Cambie dress. I Really need to purchase the pattern. It looks stunning in every version I've seen. I love your fabric. I used a rayon before and it was a fraying nightmare! I feel like I'm the only one who's experienced this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! the cambie really was a delight to sew, i can really recommend it! and i guess that there are different types of rayon, just like there are different types of cottons. it,s a bugger some frays, though!

      Delete
  3. This is so gorgeous! It really looks so lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful dress. Yay for the lucky fabric find! I've had Cambie in my pattern stash for ages but somehow haven't managed to make it yet. But it looks like a very pretty fall dress! Good job on the self-timed photos, mine very seldom turn out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely dress. LOL about having to balance camera precariously! Taking pictures is the hardest thing about blogging. May have to make the Cambie next summer.

    ReplyDelete