Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pencil skirt à la Gertie

This is my third iteration of this pattern. I can safely say it is my most repeated pattern... There is something so satisfying in sewing a pencil skirt. Once you have the fit sorted out, it goes together very quickly, especially if it isn't lined and it is such a wardrobe staple. At least for me! Even paired with a simple long sleeve tshirt, like here, I feel polished and grown-up. And what can I say more about this print than I love it? It's just gorgeous. It a slightly stretchy cotton twill. I bought it a while back at the sewing and craft convention here in Malmö, and I got 2,5m thinking I would make a dress out of it, but it felt a bit overwhelming. So it became a pencil skirt, and now I have enough left for another item. I'm playing around with the idea of a bag... So that I could have this print with me all. the. time. Ha.



The pattern is the pencil skirt from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I really need to crack on the other patterns in this book. I love them all! But I think the shirtdress has to be next. Shortly followed by the coat. Ohhh.






Also, I turned 30 (!!) two week-ends ago, and I received the BEST birthday present from my boyfriend and his family...


6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Joëlle! That is quite the amazing birthday gift you received! I'm sure you'll put it to good use. :-)
    And you have already, with that beautiful pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this is lovely! You've really perfected the fit-- this is so sophisticated! Happy belated birthday! What a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt, I'll have to check out Gertie's book. Congrats on turning 30 and the new sewing machine looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, and yay for the new sewing machine!
    The skirt looks lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabric! I was given Gertie's book for christmas last year and am still yet to make any of the patterns (eep!!), but I think I need to give the shirt waist dress a go as well. Love the fit of this pencil skirt on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! And wow, that's some birthday present... Hope you and the new machine will have many happy years together!
    Love the skirt, the style and fabric really complement each other. TNT patterns are the best =)

    ReplyDelete